Put the fun back into fundraising
Our charity expert, Lisa MacKenzie, talks fabulous fundraising
If you’re a North Devon charity or are a Devonian raising awareness for a good cause, we want to hear from you now. Because, if you’re supporting our local community then we want to support you - it’s as simple as that.
How can we do that?
Well, we can help by inviting you into the studio to talk about your charity cause, send our community team to help you manage the event, judge competitions and award prizes, or even just advise you on how best to promote your charity and hit your fundraising target.
We also have our resident The Voice ND charity expert, Lisa MacKenzie, on hand to answer all your questions and regale you with advice on how best to put the fun back into fundraising whilst reaching targets beyond your dreams.
Many of you may know Lisa from her Sunday afternoon show here at The Voice, but perhaps what you didn’t know that she is Head of Fundraising for Stand Up To Cancer here in the South West.
So, without further ado, listen in to all of Lisa’s suggestions that will help you achieve your dream for that worthy cause so near to your heart.
Do you have a question for Lisa? Drop her an email now, and she’ll do her best to get back to you or respond to you question in her next show.
In the meantime, here are Lisa's top five fundraising tips when organising a charity event :-
1. Decide what you are going to do. It’s important to think of a fundraiser that you are truly able to organise. Sounds simple and actually it is however sometimes we all get a bit carried away by what we would like to do vs what we can actually do with time etc. Make a list of all the things you enjoy!!
2. Think outside the box - Would your fundraiser be based on something you really enjoy but with a twist so everyone can do it??
3. Date and Venue - Ring around and get the prices of halls, meeting rooms, sports clubs some will give charity discount. If it’s a local charity they nay have a list of venues already. Alternatively, do it from home / at work depending on what your planning to do!
4. Don’t be afraid to ask family and friends for donations towards a raffle or prize! Often people approach businesses and we are blessed to have many wonderful supporting ones however there’s only so much they can do! We all have gifts that we haven’t / won’t use. Youl be surprised how many of your guests will want to help by donating a box of wine or bottle of chocolates!
5. Don’t go mad on Prizes!! Now this depends on the size of your event / fundraiser. If your doing a guess the name or how many sweets in a jar for example ( there’s LOADS of others) make it a cash prize. £10 is about right. It’s easy, straight forward and everyone’s a winner! For raffles. I would suggest 5 - 10 prizes.
Remember, you are doing this for a charity, your family and friends are supporting you.
For further information on running fundraising events, why not tune in to Lisa's show on Sunday, 2-4pm and then sign up for our monthly newsletter so we can keep you updated on everything we're doing at The Voice - its your radio station after all.